Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Justice Tank

Inspired by Julie Clawson's (author of Everyday Justice - a highly recommended read) justice bra, I decided to search for my very own "justice tank top." The premise of my quest was to purchase a tank top that did not involve any slave labor in the supply chain. I was in dire need of a new black tank top (think lots of holes), but wanted to find one that was full of justice and not exploitation. As you can see from the tank top I needed to replace, it was made in Brunei Darussauam, a island country located in Southeast Asia. Now, I'm certainly not opposed to outsourcing. Outsourcing can create good jobs for people and communities abroad. It is the lack of accountability in the supply chain that I oppose. So, I drove to American Apparel in the University District, and found my justice tank top.
Now, it wasn't quite what I was looking for (the straps were a bit too thick), but it had the essential element - length. And...
...it was made in Downtown LA. Yes, I've heard that American Apparel has reportedly exploited undocumented workers, but I still chose to support this company because I believe they are trying to achieve supply chain accountability.

The price was certainly a bit more costly than most other clothing stores. And yet, I felt good spending those few extra dollars with the assurance that I was contributing to an accountable supply chain.
I was pleased to learn, though, that the Gap (the maker of the tank top I replaced), received a B- from the Not For Sale campaign's supply chain accountability rating. It's no A+, but it is definitely higher than I thought it would be. After seeing this rating, I will remain a Gap customer. Check out how other companies measure up at free2work.org in order to contribute to supply chain accountability and a decrease in labor exploitation!


No comments:

Post a Comment