Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Awe-ful

Doesn't sound good, does it? And yet it was the best word I came up with when I was watching a peacock this morning.


Let me back up.


One of my places of work is the Woodland Park Zoo. The little boy I nanny (let's call him Mr. Binky) and I frequently go to check out the tractor, the flamingos, Zoomazium, the zoo trucks, the puddles, the penguins (you get the picture). This morning, we saw the peacock standing on a post near the goat pen. The brilliant blue and green hues seemed entirely out of place next to the matted hair and widely-set eyes of the goats. We checked it out for a few minutes (me continually holding Mr. Binky back for fear of his little hand grabbing a fistful of peacock feathers!), then went to check out some more exciting happenings, like the statue of a chicken. A few minutes later, I look over and see the peacock has opened (I'm not sure the correct biological term for this) and it's feathers are towering over it's body in a perfect half-circle.


Wow.


All I could think of was who could ever have dreamed up something as crazy-awesome as a peacock?


And that is when I realized how frequently God displays his awe-fulness to us.


Through the beautiful display of the peacock.

Through a healed wound.

Through the growth of a child.

Through the Cascade mountains.

Through moments of laughter, conversation, and community.


Thanks, God, for being so awe-ful.

No comments:

Post a Comment