Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Good Life

Today was a gift.

A gift of friends, food, the lake, laughter, tea, cookies, and all the things that make life so good.

It started early this morning. I snipped some purple flowers from the front yard in anticipation of a very special breakfast. A friend was stopping by on his way to the airport. We hadn't seen each other in months and he was moving back to his country (is still on the plane as I'm writing) - so, needless to say, this breakfast warranted special attention.

We ate thick slices of homemade bread covered in cheese and eggs (which I not-so-gracefully cooked), strawberries, and lots of cups of tea. We reminisced, we talked about future plans, and we breakfasted.

The inevitable came to soon and I had to leave for work. I bid him farewell and headed off to spend the day with Mr. Binky. He and I raced cars back and forth, dug in the sandbox, watched some Thomas the Tank Engine, and carefully put stickers on a recycled piece of paper.

Mr. Binky's mom got home early, so I had an unexpected hour in my day. Just enough time to meet a friend to walk around the lake. It was a gorgeous afternoon - a great time to catch up, stretch our legs, and people-watch.

My second lake-date showed up just as I returned home from my first lap around the lake. My second date and I enjoyed another beautiful stroll around the lake. I saw a couple of turtles and many of the same people I had seen on my first lap, which made me think that this whole two-lap thing is not something unique to myself.

Just as we turned the corner to my street, our dinner date called me. She had just arrived to my house. Perfect timing. My second lake-date and I reached my house, greeted our dinner date, and I set out the chips and salsa as I set to heat up our dinner. As we sat down to eat, my roommate arrived home so I set another place setting out. A dinner of four. Perfect.

The corn, bean, and quinoa salad, in addition to the sweet potato fries, turned out to be a delicious meal. The warm glow of the overhead lamp reminded me of the lighting in the credits of tv shows when a family is shown eating dinner together through the front window. Very cozy, very homey - just how every meal should be.

After dinner, we pulled some frozen cookie dough out of the freezer and threw a pan of cookies in the oven (note to self: always have frozen cookie dough available in the freezer), heated water for tea, and settled down into the comfy couches and chairs that make up our living room.

The day drew to an end over a plate with cookie residue and weakened tea bags.

Today was a gift.

A gift of friends, food, the lake, laughter, tea, cookies, and all the things that make life so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment