Sunday, January 31, 2010

Say What You Need to Say

I love this song by John Mayer. This afternoon I listened to it, and was struck by how true this is becoming for my life. There are many things that need to be said, questions that need to be asked, prayers that need to be prayed, challenges that need to be discussed. I am going through such a transformative time in my faith and worldview, and it's sometimes difficult to express my emerging thoughts and questions to people who are have not entered the same dialogue that I am wrestling with. And yet, that is no excuse to not challenge people to enter the dialogue in their own way, to question the status quo, to look at the world through a different perspective. "You better know that in the end, it's better to say too much than to never say what you need to say again." Sure, the dialogue I'm having is difficult, personal, challenging, and life-altering. Many people do not want to participate in such a dialogue. I can't blame them. It's much easier to go about life as if there are no injustices, as if problems such as human trafficking are out-of-sight, and therefore out-of-mind, and as if our own problems take all of our time. But that is not what God is calling us to. He's calling us to seek justice, to care for others, to question the status quo. So, as difficult as it can be, I sometimes just need to say what I need to say to evoke particiaption in the dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment