Sunday, January 10, 2010

Six Days and Counting...

It's official. It's unreal. It's really happening.

I am sleeping without my precious fan.

For the past 20+ years, come rain, snow, or sleet, after I turn off my light and before I lay me down to sleep, I reached over and turned on my fan. Cool air slowly circulating through my room. White noise perfection. Only then I could sleep. Without my fan, I lay with eyes wide open, the stillness of the night growing louder and louder as I thought of one thing and one thing alone: the plastic blades of my night savior. The gentle humming of the motor. Oh, if only I had it with me; if only it was on!

But all of that changed on Monday.

You see, this year is the year of the fish - fish oil, that is. I have decided to take fish oil everyday this year in order to see if it will give my eyes sweet relief from their dryness. The year of the fish oil also includes other measures to care for my eyes, in hopes that they will care for me back :) My doctor has, many times, suggested that I stop using my fan - the air blowing through the room not only could cause my eyes to feel extra-dry, it also could make the air in my room dry.

She's told me this many times before, but this time I was sold.

I have, surprisingly, slept very well. Perhaps my mind is picking up other white noises - the chiming of the grandfather clock, the hum of the computer, the (very slight) buzzing in my ears. Other attempts have ended in futiliy (especially the Great Summer 2009 attempt - I don't recommend trying to give up a fan addiction the week before the hottest week ever!).

Whatever the reason, I am rejoicing in the daily success. It almost seems normal now. I guess the old addage, out of sight, out of mind, is really working for me. To not be addicted to a sleep aid, AND to not be wasteful (especially as a self-proclaimed environmentalist!) is a liberating experience. Hopefully, day 7 will come, and I will have another reason to rejoice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment