Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lenten Journey

It begins tomorrow. 7 days - $2/day for food. I'm quite anxious, to be honest. I'm afraid I will be grumpy, irritated, frustrated, unable to focus on school, work, or interacting with people. But in those moments, I hope to be able to carry on, remembering that I do not live on bread alone.

But I love bread.

That is why this is my lenten journey for this year. Food consumes my life, and having to limit my intake will definitely be a challenge, and will hopefully draw me closer to God, and draw me closer to understanding the experience of over half of the world's population.

I feel a bit pretentious, going through this drama for just 7 days. For those who experience $2 or less/day, it is not a choice, not something they prepare for. They don't have all of the choices I have. I can craft my meals to make the most out of every penny, though I fear I won't because I've never had to consider exactly what I am eating.

When I was making my rice and beans for tomorrow, I made sure that no bean fell out of the strainer, that no piece of burned rice (someday I might actually learn how to cook rice :)!) was left in the pan, and that I loaded my sandwich with as much peanut butter as I allowed for in my calculation.

So, tomorrow it begins.

We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment