Friday, February 26, 2010

Lent Update

So, the whole $1/breakfast and lunch isn't working out so well. Lent has turned into a "simple" breakfast and lunch with no snacking.

I am finding that this exercise is more fruitful than I realized it would be. Experiencing hunger is not something I've ever done before. Usually when I'm hungry, something has gone terribly awry in my schedule and there just isn't a chance to eat a meal. It's not something I willingly experience. And, you know what, being hungry is a thought-provoking experience. Throughout these past few days, I've realized that:

1). I don't need NEARLY as much food to survive and thrive as I usually consume.
2). I enjoy food more when I'm not constantly eating it.
3). I can find comfort/enjoyment in things other than food.
4). Because eating all the time is an option I've taken away from myself, I don't think about food as much.
5). Being hungry makes me identify with the daily experience of a great majority of the world.

Lent has never been more of a sacrifice, or more fruitful. Yes, it's hard, and probably will become harder. I have to admit that I am almost counting down the days to Easter, and planning what kind of celebrating feast I'd like to have on Easter. But I'm also thinking how I can celebrate this lent season with those who, after lent, will still feel hungry. One thought: Sharing Easter meals with people who don't have enough to eat. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment