Thursday, May 20, 2010

La Bibliotheque

Today I became a card-carrying member of the Seattle Public Library. It was long overdue - I moved into the city nearly 2 months ago. But since I am still an avid King County Library System user (I try not to go over the lake too much, but it still happens a few times a week!), I seemed to always have good excuses not to stop by the library and get a card (and I usually didn't have a piece of mail with my new address on me).

But today, after work, I stopped by the Greenlake branch - a scenic, old building, perfect for my home branch :) I filled out the online application, took my confirmation number to the front, and was given a detailed explanation of my new rights as a SPL member. I signed my card, and walked out into the sunny late afternoon with a sense of excitement. Now, millions of books are at my fingertips. Give search, click, and boom - books and other resources sent from around the system to my branch. An email notice, dropping by the branch to pick it up, and there, in my hands, new ideas and thoughts.

How blessed are Americans to have such amazing library systems? To have access to scholarly articles, DVDs, books, magazines, computers - not to mention programs such as storytimes, computer classes, book clubs, and lectures. To have a community place that promotes inclusion, learning, and diversity. To have librarians answer questions and provide information. And all of it absolutely free.

In my opinion, one of the best things about America is the library. I know that many countries have excellent, government-funded library systems, but I also know that many countries do not. With no library system, people have less access to information, ideas, and knowledge. Children do not have picture books. There are less community meeting places. Communicating with family members around the world becomes limited.

So, with great thankfulness, I confess that I am a member of four library systems - Whatcom County, King County, Snohomish County, and, as of today, the city of Seattle. I will continue to keep collecting library memberships throughout my life (but have no current plans of moving away:) ), and continue to be thankful for the amazing resource that the government provides to people living in this country.

Now, I wonder when my nine holds will be in to my King County Library System branch...sometimes I get a little hold-happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment